Saturday, September 17, 2011

Time Better Spent Elsewhere.

I come from a city, born and raised and grown up-in a city. I was created and formed outside of one. An existence both human and inhumanly human I have lived, nestled in the comforts of modern trappings, of conveniences unimaginable a scant century ago. Trapping so modern, so human they transcend the human experience. Our human nature has trapped itself in it's trappings, seeking to exist without, but without what it can't tell. One would like to think that existing sans modern establishments would be preferred. As we contemplate thinking that existing sans modern establishments would be preferred we continue to work on the wall keeping us inside and away from things unpleasant and uncomfortable and wild.

It's only natural of course. The human body excels not physically but mentally, our whole lives hinge on using tools and creating mechanics to beat the odds set against our frail structures. Even our ancestors, those who did without couldn't have done it without tools and devices, the means of which to conquer a hostile world, to stave off the wolves of the night, to quiet the howling winds and warm the chill night air. To eat satisfactorily and to travel efficiently. To find companionship with others pleasantly and to live succinctly. What else would there be in life were it not for these conveniences? The physical strain on the body would greatly demean one's quality of life would it not?

As a human I take full advantage of my opportunities for convenience but often times will pass over the harder routes to avoid trouble. I take my rest leisurely in my home, I drink always cold water whenever I wish and I eat food convenient for eating, I rarely cook and I've never foraged for food to survive. I oft wonder if this is rebelling against, or pandering to my nature and my races prerogative, I'm sure that it's mostly the latter. Previously I mentioned being shaped outside of the city, despite living in one. My whole life I've tried to maximize my time away from the city and to soak up as much natural wildness as possible. Over time I've come to realize that the human condition is a sad, sad thing. We give up a physical challenge, that is rewarding spiritually and mentally for challenged draining in all ways and rewarding in none. The grocery store for instance is an awful place to be, every time one ventures in they're assaulted by vibrant sounds and distracting colors, artificial foliage and bustling crowds, air filled with hurry and the ever vigilant search for spoiled food items yet most people, myself included head to the grocery store at least once a week despite the discomfort endured. There exists no pride in shopping, no pleasure in selecting the fare for the week's table. No sensation of a well earned meal, nor an appreciation of the origins of said meal. When the contents of the table have been brought out of a lake or plucked from a garden they naturally taste better. Is it due to the freshness so long forgotten or the knowledge of the physical work endured to procure the food? Both?

The human condition is to disregard balance and eschew any physical discomfort for better or worse. The human condition is in sad need of reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment